- 1.5kg quinces, peeled and roughly chopped
- 800g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
- Place quince in a large pan with enough water to cover, and bring to the boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Cool slightly, then transfer quince and cooking liquid to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return quince puree to pan with sugar and vanilla. Cook over medium heat, stirring, for 5-6 minutes until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 hours or until very thick and a deep plum-red.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Pour mixture into a 9cm x 24cm terrine mould or divide among six 1/2 cup (125ml) greased ramekins. Smooth surface with the back of a spoon. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours or until set.
- Remove paste from mould, then slice and serve with cheese, crackers and Sparkling Shiraz.